There were some minor details to work out before we settled on our route and timeline, but this would be our grandest adventure yet! On the itinerary:
- Vermont to north-central Pennsylvania on back roads and rural highways, then west on PA 6 to Oil City, PA
- Interstate to west of Akron, OH, then US 6 and some other back roads to near South Bend, IN
- Through Chicago early on a Saturday morning and up to southern Wisconsin to visit some human and canine friends
- Rural Route 3 across northern Iowa and into Nebraska, where we’ll camp along the Niobrara River
- Up into South Dakota, then west on 44 to the Badlands. Continue west to the Black Hills, then north and west to Devil’s Tower in Wyoming
- Across northern Wyoming, then over Chief Joseph and Beartooth Passes into Montana
- West to Missoula. From there we’ll either continue west on US 12 thru the Lolo Pass to Lewiston ID, then north thru Spokane to US 20…or we’ll continue northwest on 200 to US 2 near Sandpoint ID, then connect with US 20.
- US 20 west thru the Northern Cascades. From there we’ll either take a ferry across the Puget Sound and ride around the Olympic Peninsula cutting back inland to Mt Rainier…or we’ll head south on Route 9, then cut over to Mt Rainier. Depends on the weather and how much time we have.
- From Mt Rainier to the east side (Wild Side) of Mt St Helens, then back roads dropping into The Dalles OR from the north, following the Columbia River Gorge west to Hood River, then veering south past Mt Hood
- Back roads down the spine of the Cascades in western Oregon to Crater Lake, then southwest to catch the giant redwoods near Crescent City CA
- Up the southern Oregon coastline along scenic US 101 as far as Reedsport OR, then east to Corvallis and north to theBMW Rally in Salem OR.
Coming home, well — I haven’t gotten that far yet!